Friday, February 26, 2016

Our GYN adventure!







I have to be reminded of some key facts sometimes.  I'm not tooting a horn here but we ARE incredible people. Him for who he has become and me, for being able to get him to his destination in one piece. We are creating the environment for his happiness. We have made about a BAJILLION mistakes, they were all valuable. And #4 should be our daily living MOTTO. The road less travelled is generally where we live. Not to say we aren't afraid, because going completely outside of most people's norms can be terrifying, but we do it anyway (gently sometimes, aggressively when warranted) So there it is, my affirmations for my mental health.....which is bordering on lunacy much of the time.

So, yesterday we had the GYN appointment with Dr. Lea Mahoney. She works out of West End Ob & Gyn in Henrico, Va.  She had been referred to us from another Trans individual (FTM-friendly GYN's are hard to find) and so we went in for a consult as self-pay ($120.00).  She was great and really put us at ease. After taking a history and hearing my sons story, she asked us what we were looking to get done.  We were straight to the point about his pain being an issue, he wants a hysterectomy. She is definitely on board and after doing an obligatory pelvic exam (Alex is NOT a fan) she suggests the Lap/Vaginal procedure.  It's about a 4-6 week scheduling wait to get into the OR. So, that pretty much wraps up the doctors end of things for now.

The office staff thinks we might be able to get Tricare to cover it.  They give me some instructions for some paperwork things to do. I'm skeptical but will try it. I'll post whenever I get around to doing those things. lol.

We will plan on self-pay until we know otherwise. I'd hate to get my hopes up.



No comments:

Post a Comment